Kangaroo Point Green Bridge
The Connect Brisbane consortium, led by BESIX Watpac, is delivering the Kangaroo Point Green Bridge (KPGB) on behalf of Brisbane City Council (Council). More than just a bridge project, the KPGB will become a must-visit destination for residents and visitors once complete in 2024, particularly during the Brisbane 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
Following an extensive and competitive selection process, Rowland was appointed to lead communication and stakeholder engagement for the project as part of Connect Brisbane — a testament to Rowland’s experience and ability to develop and execute successful stakeholder engagement strategies.
The selection process involved:
- An expressions of interest (EOI) process which attracted 16 prospective groups, each required to demonstrate their suitability and experience
- A pitching phase where Council reduced the pool to six groups who further developed and pitched their strategies and budgets
- An early contractor involvement (ECI) phase, where two consortia were selected to participate in the final stage assessment.
Rowland’s winning strategy centred around a ‘no surprises’ approach. This included encouraging community education, regular and ongoing sharing of information with the community, a strategy for project promotion and an understanding of potential project risks.
Rowland has a dedicated full-time resource on the project, who manages all communication and stakeholder engagement activities, including:
- Responding to stakeholder and community enquiries and complaints received via a project hotline and email
- Facilitating key stakeholder meetings and information sessions to provide project updates
- Recording and reporting on stakeholder interactions, including identification of key issues/trends
- Drafting and distributing project-related materials, including construction notifications, out-of-hours works notices, project signage, etc
- Managing approval of communication and engagement materials with Council
- Providing regular updates and coordination support to Council in relation to media opportunities
- Attending weekly meetings with Connect Brisbane and Council project teams to provide updates on stakeholder engagement activities
- Ongoing liaison with Connect Brisbane project construction teams (planners, engineers, designers etc.)
- Issues preparedness and management.
- Communication and stakeholder engagement strategy
- Issues preparedness
- Stakeholder and community engagement
- Stakeholder engagement materials development
Rowland’s appointment to lead communication and stakeholder engagement on this project is a testament to our experience and ability to develop and execute successful stakeholder engagement strategies.